You may have found the right places, as well as the prospective clients that will help you start building your online portfolio, but without a good resume, it will be difficult to land that dream job anytime soon. However, with one of the free resume templates that you may download here or edit online, you can create the perfect resume in no time.
In this post you will be provided with the following:
- Tips in writing your resume, and
- 15 Free Resume Templates that you can download or edit online
Remember that every hiring personnel has to review a great number of resumes, especially those who will be screening for a large company. They do not have the luxury of time to read through every resume submitted, recruiters simply scan each resume that may have reached their desk or inbox. And studies show, it’s the first 6 to 7 seconds that matter most for them. If you are able to capture their attention, then, perhaps, they will think that your resume deserves a closer look.
A well-structured, informative resume, that stands out will most likely capture the attention of a hiring manager, who would even want to interview you right away. That means, you need to make sure that within that short span of time, you get to evoke a positive response from the hiring manager or whoever is recruiting for the company you have applied for.
In essence, a resume tells something about who you are, what you have accomplished so far, and what you can do. In short, it provides your prospective employer an idea of how you can help their business to move forward.
It may not be your idea of a day off or a holiday, but spending time to create a good resume is an important step to getting hired for that job that you have always wanted.
Resume Writing Tips
Use any of the resume templates below that you deem suitable for your purpose. Download and edit on Microsoft Word or customize your chosen resume template online. But before you do that, please take note of these reminders as they could help you in the presentation of information that you may want to include in your resume, as well as in creating the overall look of your resume.
Design matters, but don’t over do it.
A standard-looking, boring resume will not be the right resume to send to a prospective client, especially if it does not even give the hiring manager a hint of what exactly you can do for them, and it is just a one-pager.
However, it is likewise not necessary to overthink about the design. Just make sure to include your career objective, the details of at least two or three of your latest employment, education, skills, contact details, and references (if available), then your resume is done.
Customize Your Resume.
You may be tempted to send the same resume to every prospective client, but you need to understand that only by creating a resume tailored to the role that you are applying for will you be able to present yourself worthy of your client’s attention.
A well-customized resume will stand out as it responds to what the prospective employer is actually looking for from his soon-to-be employee. Even the Hiring Manager will see your worth with how you package yourself with the details that you provide in your resume.
Use power words.
Your goal in presenting your resume to your prospective employer is for them to consider you as the best person to for the post. Another way to do this is by providing specific details about your achievement. Use action words to introduce your accomplishments and back them up with power words and figures. Don’t say that you are a great team player. Instead, specify the things that you have done that qualify you as one. Words like “volunteered,” “participated,” “joined,” “collaborated,” and “contributed,” will most likely to create the response that you are expecting from a recruiter. In the same manner, power words, like “managed,” “achieved,” “delivered,” “created,” “developed,” “installed,” and other words that you can connect to the things that you have accomplished will definitely trigger a positive response from the recruiter.
Make your resume an easy read.
The hiring manager or recruiter does not have the whole day to read through page after page of your resume. Structure it well that it can be easily read. Be consistent with the format, spacing, as well with the content. Use bold fonts to highlight headings. Use bullet points, if you must, but make each statement clear and concise.
Proofread your resume.
You can’t always be sure that you will have a perfectly done resume, so be sure to check for any style, format and content errors. You can either use a software that will do the editing for you, or let someone else check if you have missed anything on your resume before sending an email with your resume to a recruiter or hitting that “submit” button.
The thought of writing a resume may already trigger a headache, but once you have created one, securing an interview schedule will be a little less difficult.
Need help building your resume? Let Jobscan help optimize your resume.
15 FREE Resume Templates to Get You Started
With any of the free resume templates below, you can easily build your resume in no time. Choose an appropriate resume format, download a copy, and start building your resume today. You may also click on the provided download link and customize the template to fit its purpose.
1. Basic Modern Resume. This is a clean, “no-frills,” matter-of-fact resume that leaves that impression that you can get that job even without a fancy design. Want to use this template? Download HERE.
2. Fresty. This is another clean and simple resume format that is very functional and highlights your skills. You can download copy of this free resume template here.
3. Simple and Clean Resume Template. If you are looking for a resume template that is creative but not too flashy, this simple and clean resume template by Zoki Design is for you. It features a space for a head shot on the top-left and the color of the entire panel can be customized to suit your taste. This resume template also comes with a matching cover letter template. Inspired to use this template? Download here.
4. Minimalistic Clean. This is another simple resume template that reflects a very professional look. It’s perfect for those who want to highlight their expertise, and even give some room for on-the-job accomplishments, as well as his or her educational credentials. If you want to see how this template looks on paper, you may download a copy of this template here.
Google and Microsoft also offers both FREE and PREMIUM resume templates. These templates can only be edited online if you are signed in to either account.
For Google resume templates, you need to go to your Google Docs and check Google Template Gallery for the specific template that you want to use for your resume (as seen in the picture below).
If you still do not have a Google account, you may signup here and create a new Google account.
5. Swiss Google Docs Resume Template. This resume format is perfect for those who have some fairly regular work experience or those who are occupying a more senior position since a great portion of the space is intended for the main categories (Skills, Experience, and Education). It leaves an impression of that of of a simple person who is not boring. You may customize a copy of this resume template at the Google Templates Gallery.
6. Serif Google Docs Resume Template. This resume template uses black and blue font colors and expresses extreme professionalism. If it is time to lay out projects, presentations, and awards that you are proud of, then use this resume template. There is even a spot for “languages” and follows a two-column format to present the information. This would be an ideal format for experts in their fields, like computer scientists and banking professionals. You can find a copy of this template here.
7. Traditional Elegance Google Docs Resume Template. For those are yet to build their career or have are recent graduates and have no or little work experience to boast, this might just be the right Google Doc resume template for you. Its simple layout emphasizes education than experience, so you may highlight your college classes as well as extra-curricular activities. In its Profile section, you may write a resume objective or give a lengthy pitch to get the job to cover for the lack of experience. For an editable copy of this Google resume template, visit this link.
8. Coral Google Docs Resume Template. This is a one-column resume that is well-suited for those in the fashion, arts or creative industry, are influencers, as well as culinary experts. It reflects a very feminine personality and will not fit serious, professional type. It’s also a great match for those who have lots of experience and skills but do not have a lengthy educational background. Build your resume using Coral Google Docs Resume Template.
9. Spearmint Google Docs Resume Template. The Spearmint resume template by Google Docs looks a lot like the Coral template with its one-column layout and similar content entries. However, it creates a different feel with its simple layout and the type of font used. This is a perfect template for industrial engineers, or those in the sustainability or green business. It highlights skills first, which makes it a great format for those who are ready to switch careers. For a editable copy of this template, check this link.
10. Modern Writer Google Docs Resume Template. This unique template is made for the modern writer. This would be the perfect pick if the main focus of the resume is writing skills or if the post that you applying for a job is related to writing and books (copywriter, content writer, editor, librarian, screenwriter, and other similar jobs). Inspired to use this resume format? Check it out on Google Docs’ Template Gallery.
11. Blue Side Google Docs Resume Template. This is a two-toned template for professionals who have lots of work experience to layout, such marketing and management professionals. It also has a slight resemblance with a CV with the way the years are listed. However, it has the length and purpose as that of a resume. You can find this template here.
12. All the Information Google Docs Resume Template. This is the perfect resume template for those who want to change careers after following a particular professional path for a long time. This template highlights the greatest skills and emphasizes career objective in a professional and lengthy manner. For those who have more quality than quantity in their work experiences and educational background and would like more space to describe how much value were added to every organization that you had been a part of, you may want to list all the details in this resume format. You can find this resume format here.
13. Hospitality management resume. You may use this resume template if you plan to apply for a management position in the hospitality industry. Do you want to check it out? Download here.
14. Minimalist Resume Template. Here is a classy, yet still modest minimalist resume template. If you want to be perceived as one with a positive, straightforward, yet encouraging personality, this could be a resume template that should use. You can either edit this template on your browser or download it from here. You need to sign in to your Microsoft account before you can edit the template, however.
Don’t have a Microsoft account? Create a new account today.
15. Modern initials resume template. This is also a free Microsoft resume template, which means you can get to access it directly if you are signed in on your Microsoft account. Showcase your experience and skills with bold modern design using this template. This template can be customized to suit your needs and tastes.
Now, it’s your turn to build your resume. Which of these resume templates would you rather use?